SEARCH
CONTACT US
+632 888-3055 +632 888-3955 CONTACT US

News Articles

Reports and Presentations

News > 6 killed, 3 missing in Semirara mining mishap

6 killed, 3 missing in Semirara mining mishap

An estimated 50 people were said to be working at the coal mine for the night shift when the landslide took place.



 

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines)  Six miners had been confirmed dead  after a landslide hit a coal mine in Semirara Island in Antique.

 

Roderick Train of the Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (PDRRMC) said on Saturday (July 18) that the latest body was recovered at 11 a.m.

 

So far, the bodies recovered and identified were Alexander Nudo Arnold Omac, Ricardo Panes, Dicson Daupan, Bernie Manrique and Jeneroso Talaro.

 

Still missing were Danilo Bayhon, Noel Penolla and Ian Catulay.

 

Meanwhile, those who survived the mishap were Brendo Tuarez, Nelson Villamor, Patrick Morgado, Renan Entible and Ricardo Cabrera.

 

Before this, Ricky Lavega, a representative of the provincial government said the landslide happened around 4 a.m early Friday morning (July 17).

 

Lavega said the weather was fine and there was no rain since the other day on the island, contrary to an earlier report that steady rain had been pouring over the area for days.

 

An estimated 50 people were said to be working at the coal mine for the night shift when the landslide took place.

 

Operated by the DM Consunji Inc. (DMCI), the Semirara coal mine operation was temporarily suspended last February 13, 2013 after a similar incident killed five workers then.

 

The Department of Energy (DOE) had ordered Semirara to suspend operations pending an investigation into the incident.

 

Source: CNN Philippines